Electric chainsaws are portable, powerful cutting tools used for tree felling, limbing, bucking, harvesting of firewood, and whatnot. Want to cut a log of wood? Or just branches? Chainsaws would help you effectively reducing the time for the process drastically as compared to doing it without an electric chainsaw.
So we present you an A-Z guide about chainsaws. From what a chainsaw is to reviewing the best ones in the market. You will get everything at one straight place.
Read on. . . .
WHAT IS A CHAINSAW?
So firstly, let us know what a chainsaw is exactly. Chainsaws are specially designed bar and chain tools which work in a great automated mechanism for performing various operations such as cutting etc.
You also get some specialized chainsaws for cutting concrete and ice.
FEATURES OF A CHAINSAW
Certain important features of chainsaw help us deciding between two chainsaws. Have a look at them:
- 1) Automatic oiler: This feature frees you from the work of constant oiling the chainsaw blades.
Proper chain lubrication is essential for fine cutting
- 2) Anti-vibration mechanism: This reduces the vibration while working with the chainsaw. This helps in enhancing operations.
- 3) Spring-assist starting: This helps in reducing the mechanical force used while starting a gasoline powered chainsaw
- 4) Chain break: Prevents the chain from breaking if the chainsaw alters through some problem
- 5) Air cleaning feature: Helps to extend the air filter life by filtering the air from debris beforehand.
CHAINSAW POWER OPTIONS
Modern chainsaws generally come in two power options: a) Gasoline powered chainsaws and b) Electric Chainsaws
let’s have a detailed look at each of them.
1) GASOLINE POWERED CHAINSAW
These types of chainsaws are very powerful and come with a variety of lightweight to heavyweight options. A gasoline powered chainsaw starts its combustion engine by pull-start and its engine works on a mixture of oil and gasoline. These types of chainsaws are beasts which bring power and mobility together, thus being ideal for heavyweight operations like tree felling etc. You can make a mixture yourself for use or buy a pre-manufactured fuel.
2) ELECTRIC POWERED CHAINSAW
Electric powered chainsaws are one of the trendiest ones in the market. These types of chainsaws are nice for small chores like trimming up your garden, just repairing some old blocks of wood etc types of errands. These are lighter than the gasoline ones and make less noise too.
Electric chainsaws also have two types:
- a) Corded chainsaws: Corded chainsaws are supplied with constant electricity for work. It requires some extensible power cord and thus it limits you over a particular distance.
We would furthermore discuss corded chainsaws.
- b) Cordless chainsaws: These types of chainsaws are supplied with a battery for use. You need to recharge/replace the battery depending upon the type and usability. Battery puts on more weight to the chainsaw but provides a great mobility factor.
WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY?
I know you are having a great dilemma about which chainsaw to buy? Both types of chainsaws have a nearly identical design, a minor weight difference, and the same bar-and-chain mechanism to cut stuff. Then what factors set them apart? Let’s find out!
A gasoline powered chainsaw is more powerful and can do heavy jobs more effectively than an electric chainsaw. It gives you a faster cutting action as compared to an electric powered chainsaw.
But it also has some disadvantages. It has a higher cranking level and noise level than an electric chainsaw. Maintenance charges too are higher than electric chainsaw.
On the other hand, electric chainsaw are easy to operate, lightweight and quieter than gasoline chainsaws. These are more efficient and economical carrying out small jobs indoors. Their maintenance charges are also lower than the gasoline chainsaws. But these electric chainsaws have some disadvantages too. You can only work in dry conditions and places where power output is near. In areas where both of these are not available, electric chainsaws might disappoint you.
CORDED VS CORDLESS CHAINSAWS
Corded chainsaws are one of the cheapest chainsaw available in the industry. These chainsaws are ideal where a power plug is readily available. Generally, these chainsaws come with a short cord hence buying an extensible cord is advisable. Corded chainsaws are great for small works such as cutting logs of wood in your garden, with trimming of branches etc.
These chainsaws are great if you have a power source nearby else in remote areas you need to take your power generator along for work.
Cordless chainsaws are great for mobility as you don’t have any cord sticking out. Nowadays, cordless chainsaws are powered by Lithium-ion batteries. Though these types of chainsaws don’t provide great power, these can be very helpful in remote areas.
But corded chainsaws are one of the most expensive in the industry and you need to have the battery fully charged before you are going to work.
I hope you now know some stuff about chainsaws. We have reviewed some of the best electric chainsaw running in the market and listed some important stuff about these products. I hope that this would help you choosing the right machine for your use.
BEST ELECTRIC CHAINSAW
Buying an electric chainsaw is not as easy as it seems. Chill out! We have jotted down some of the best products in the bunch available in the market. Let’s do it!
The WORX-WG303.1 is our personal favorite machine on our list. WORX is a reputable company which has been occupying a major share in the chainsaw industry. With a 16” chain and 14.5 amp power, this electric chainsaw is pretty easy to maneuver and handle.
It has its own exclusive tool-free auto-tensioning feature which does wonder while cutting. The system is better than other ones available in the market. Also, the auto-tensioning system prevents the chain from breaking.
The chain brake provided in the chainsaw is a super add-on in this price range. The features make a bang for the buck!
There is also an auto chain oiler which frees you from the hassles of oiling the chains.
Some special features:
- Electric powered rating at 14.5 Amp, produced 3.5 HP and features a 16-inch bar length
- Features a chain mechanism that prevents incidences of over tightening thus staying in the most appropriate tension during applications
- Features a low kickback bar together with a safety chain stop
- Comes with an auto-chain lubrication feature
- Beautifully finished with nice black & orange finish
- Features copper, plastic & steel construction for durability
- Comes with an easy-to-lubricate sprocket system
- Single oversized knob for securing the chain under the bar at an appropriate tension.
- Backed by a two year limited manufacturer warranty
We didn’t find any. But a small %, around ~1% customers complained of oil leaks. But overall it is a great product.
AMAZON RATING: 4.4/5
2) Makita UC3551A Electric Chain Saw, 14″
Need a chainsaw which has fucking everything? You need to pick this beast up! This powerful chainsaw is equipped with a 14” chain engineered for faster cutting. The chain speed is impressively fast.
The chainsaw comes with a rubberized grip handle which feels great and easy to work with.
It has an auto oiling system which makes it easy for you to work. You can also see the oil level through a translucent white window.
And the best part of the machine: the tool-less blade technology which helps you work smoothly. This is one of the best blade technologies which make your work very feasible.
Some of its special features are:
- “Tool-less” blade and chain adjustments for convenient operation and easy maintenance
- Large trigger switch with soft start for smooth start-ups
- Rubberized soft grip handle provides increased comfort on the job
- Built-in current limiter helps protect motor from burnout by reducing power to motor when saw is overloaded
- Large oil reservoir with view window allows operator to check bar oil level
- Automatic chain oiler for heavy continuous cutting
- Electric chain brake for maximum productivity
- Large metal spike bumper for gripping material firmly
- Zero emissions and reduced maintenance
- Soft start for smooth start-ups
The only con in this chainsaw is its price. It’s costlier than other chainsaws. If you just need to do some house chores, don’t buy this one. Instead, buy WORX chainsaw which is great on price.
But if you do heavy work, just buy this one without giving a second thought.
GreenWorks 20312 G-MAX
Are you sick and tired of gas and fuel chainsaws? Do you find the cords very annoying? Voila! You search ends here. Meet this havoc electric chainsaw. The GreenWorks 20312 G-MAX chainsaw is one of the most powerful, cordless chainsaw you can afford under $220.
The chainsaw is engineered with the latest technology which equips it with 30% more torque. The chainsaw comes in a variant of 16”, 40V lithium battery and a charger too. It’s lightweight and it just weighs 6.9lbs.
They have also included a chain break which ensures lower kickbacks.
Some of its features are:
- Premium Power of DigiPro brushless motor technology cuts up to 100 cuts on a single charge. Includes 4AH Battery and Charger
- Compatible with GreenWorks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System offering a range of tools to choose from
- Brushless motor delivers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration for user comfort while working
- Chain brake and low kickback chain for increased user safety
Battery life isn’t much as expected. We would recommend you to buy an extra battery if you do work at the stretch.
Amazon rating: 4.4/5
Tired of overhead branches on tall trees? You certainly need this pole saw. The BLACK+DECKER Bare 20V MAX Lithium Ion Pole Pruning Saw is an excellent tool for cutting branches that are high. It comes with an 8” cutting bar and chain with a maximum cutting diameter of 6”. It lets you cut at a height of 14feet which is actually great. This cordless pole chainsaw is portable and very easy for transporting it to other places.
Some of its other features are:
- Extension allows for a useable length of 6-1/2 or 10 feet; overhead reach of up to 14 feet
- 20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery provides longer battery, life year after year
- Up to 100 cuts of 1-1/2-inch pine branches per charge
- In-line power-head allows easy maneuverability and visibility between branches
- 8-inch cutting bar and chain allows for a maximum cutting diameter of 6 inches
- Weighs 6.3 pounds
- Energy Star rated
- Backed by a 2-year limited warranty
It doesn’t have a tension adjustment tool. You need to buy blades once they wear over time. But the blade life is good which doesn’t give you hectic blade changing trips every time.
Amazon rating: 4.4/5
This is the best chainsaw if you don’t do much work with them It is best suited for light, home-based users. This cheap chainsaw isn’t cheap in quality. It is manufactured by Remington: one of the most powerful companies in the world which assure you about product quality.
The chainsaw is equipped with 14-inch low-kickback bar and chain and features a push-button oiler and an external adjustment system for reliable chain tensioning. It also comes fully assembled and is backed by a 2-year limited warranty.
Some of its features are:
- It has a powerful 8 amp electric motor
- Features a 14-inch low-kickback bar and chain.
- Is compact, lightweight design is easy to use.
- Has a push-button oiler lets you add the right amount of oil.
- It is equipped with external chain tension adjuster makes tensioning easy.
- Comes fully assembled
Some of the consumers have reported of a very less oil holding capacity of the chainsaw. Although that’s more than enough for one use, we recommend you not to pour in much oil to avoid creating a mess.
Amazon rating: 4.2/5
So here we come to an end to this guide! We hope you liked it. Just drop your comments down below for any doubts/queries/etc.